Tips — Nail/Arm Care
- Push cuticles back when grooming fingernails, avoid cutting them.
- Keep cuticles moist with cream (not while wearing closed hand/finger garment).
- Trim nails with care.
- Avoid getting manicures, artificial nails and wearing nail polish.
- Always check hands and fingers for cuts, scrapes, or irritations that could turn into an infection.
- Keep arm, hands and finger clean. Wash with a mild soap.
- Wear clean compression garments.
- Use rubber gloves when hand washing dishes or clothes.
- When doing outside work or gardening wear protective gloves.
- Avoid high heat saunas, hot tubs and hot baths.
- Avoid carrying heavy objects with affected arm.
- Avoid injections, blood work, and blood pressure cuffs on affected arm (if both arms are affected choose better limb or use leg, if not affected).
- Keep skin moisturized (not while wearing garments).
For more information on proper care of finger and toe nails visit lymphnotes.com/article.php/id/463/
Skin and Nail Care in Lymphedema Management-